Trinidad East Indian Beef Curry
1 1/2 lb. beef, cut into cubes (trim off excess fat)
2 large onion
1 inch piece fresh ginger root
3 cloves garlic
2 green chili peppers
3 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons curry powder
salt, pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups coconut milk
1) Finely chop onions, ginger root and garlic, remove stalks and seeds from
chili peppers and chop finely too.
2) Heat oil in heavy pot, add the chopped ingredients and stir fry until
3) Add curry powder and continue frying for a few min more (may have to add
a little water so that the spices will not burn).
4) Add meat and continue stirring until it is well browned and coated with
the spice mixture.
5) Add salt and pepper to taste and continue stirring.
6) Add coconut milk, stir thoroughly, then reduce heat and cover pot. Cook
on low until meat is tender (about 1 1/4 hours).
7) Adjust seasonings, if necessary. Serve with Mango Chutney.
Pork Curry- Prepare same way.
Chicken Curry- prepare same way- but with less cooking time.
Shrimp Curry- prepare same way- but shrimp only cooks a few minutes.
In Trinidad, we also cook curried goat, pork, agouti, deer, lappe, manicou
From: Caribbean Child: Trinidad East Indian Cooking
Marco Mayer / 123RF Stock Photo 10250646