Zucchini Curry (Zucchini Sabzi, Zucchini Kurma)
1 Onion (finely chopped)
2 Tomato (finely chopped or puréed) (or use canned pumpkin/butternut)
1 tblsp Ginger garlic paste
2 Green Chillies (finely chopped) (optional)
1 tsp Coriander
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp Chilli powder (or as needed) (optional)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
Cilantro for garnish
Salt as needed
2 tblsp Oil
1. Chop the zucchini into big chunks. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan and
shallow fry the pieces. Keep it aside.
2. Remove the zucchini pieces from the pan, add an additional tblsp of oil
and splutter the mustard and cumin seeds.
3. Saute the onions with the green chillies for 10 minutes until they turn
nice golden brown.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
5. Add the tomato pieces/puree and let the mixture cook for atleast 10
minutes until the tomatoes are pulpy.
6. Add all the dry spice powders- chilli powder, coriander-cumin powder,
turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt.
7. Add the zucchini pieces and required water. Bring the gravy to a boil.
8. Simmer the gravy till oil floats on top. Check for seasoning and adjust
9. Finally, add finely chopped cilantro and switch off. Serve hot.
Tips and Variation
- You can also roast 3 tblsp of grated coconut, make a fine paste of it
and add to the gravy. This gives nice thickness and taste to the curry.
(Here is Ivygourd curry made in a similar way.)
- Another variation is to add 1/2 cup of coconut milk to the gravy at the
end and just heat it through.
- You can also substitute zucchini with other vegetables like ivygourd
Submitted by Dahlia to Simple Indian Recipes