Chapter: Other Poultry (Turkey, Duck, Goose and Game Birds) Recipes
Recipe: Quail with Fruit and Nut Stuffing
Quail with Fruit and Nut Stuffing
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried coarsely chopped apricots
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to hot (450 degrees).
2. Wash and dry the quail. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.
3. In a saucepan combine the orange juice, raisins and cloves. Bring to a
boil, reduce the heat and simmer five minutes. Strain the mixture,
discarding the cloves and reserving the orange juice and raisins.
4. In a mixing bowl combine the raisins, apricots, ginger, orange peel,
and the nuts. Mix well and use the mixture to stuff the quail.
5. Place the quail on a rack in a shallow open roasting pan and brush
olive oil. Bake five minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to slow (300
degrees) and bake twenty-five minutes longer, basting frequently with the
remaining orange juice.
6. Place the quail in a chafing dish. Season the liquid in the roasting
pan with salt and pepper to taste and pour over the quail. When steam rises
from the chafing dish, serve at once. 8 servings
Posted to rec.food.recipes by Pat Gold on June 20, 1995.
Adapted by Patti Vincent
Alina Byelkova / 123RF Stock Photo 9959733