Creamed Yuca (Cassava) with Roasted Garlic
2 1/4 pounds yuca (cassava) - peeled and cubed
1 head of roasted garlic
4 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 cup warm canned coconut milk
pinch of grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
Roast the Garlic:
1. Preheat oven to 450 Fahrenheit.
2. While the oven is heating, peel off as much of the garlic's papery skin
as you can and cut off about 1/2 inch from the top of the garlic
exposing the cloves.
3. Set the garlic on a square of tinfoil and drizzle olive oil over the
top. Then wrap the garlic tightly with the foil. Bake for one hour.
4. Remove the garlic from the oven and allow it to cool before handling.
5. Squeeze the garlic out of the papery husks to use.
Creamed Yuca (Cassava) Recipe Instructions:
1. While the garlic is roasting, peel and cube the yuca (cassava) for
2. Place the yuca in a saucepan and cover with salted water.
3. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to medium heat. Cover and simmer until
the yuca is thoroughly cooked - about 20 minutes. (The yuca should be
fork tender and slightly translucent.)
4. Remove the yuca from the heat and drain off the water.
5. Place cooked yuca in a bowl along with the coconut milk, roasted garlic,
and oil. Mash together with a potato masher or whip using an electric
6. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
7. Serve warm.
Adapted from About.com: Latin Caribbean Food
Mauro Rodrigues / 123RF Stock Photo 9940481