Chapter: Chicken Recipes: Baked and Slow Cooker/Crock Pot
Section: Baked: Asian
Recipe: Thai Curry-Braised Chicken
Thai Curry-Braised Chicken
The heat of this dish is controlled by the amount of curry paste used and
is also flavored with coconut juice and ginger, giving it sweet and spicy
tastes and lots of body.
4 ea. chicken leg
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 ea. onion, diced
1 tbsp. ginger, minced
1 ea. garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp. Thai Red Curry Paste, to taste (recipe)
1 1/2 cup homemade chicken broth
4 ea. baby bok choy
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. cilantro leaves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F(165 C). Cut through the tip of the chicken
leg knuckle; pull the skin up and gather it around the cut knuckle. Cut
around the leg bone just below the gathered skin. Remove skin. Cut through
the joint to separate the thigh and drumstick.
2. Heat the oil in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-low heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and sear on
all sides. Remove chicken and keep warm.
3. Stir in onions, ginger, and garlic and saute until onions are
translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in curry paste and broth. Add the
chicken back to the pan. Bring the broth to a simmer; cover and transfer to
the oven. Cook the chicken, turning once, for 30 minutes.
4. Cut the bok choy stalks in half and place on a plate with a small amount
of water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
5. Remove pan from the oven, remove chicken, and reserve. Bring cooking
liquid to a simmer and stir in the coconut milk. Stir in lime juice and
simmer for 2 minutes. Add the cilantro and return the chicken to the pan.
6. Place 2 bok choy halves, onto each plate. Portion 1 drumstick and 1
thigh on each plate. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with cilantro
sprigs. Estimated Time: 45min. Number of Servings 4
Original recipe by: Digital Chef
Andrey Khrobostov / 123RF Stock Photo 8167207